Body Psychotherapy North Brisbane
Anxiety and depression are not just felt in your mind, but in your body as well.
Your body is trying to tell you something, so listen to the wisdom of your body.
Through moving, breathing and talking we remember, and let go.
In body psychotherapy we combine psychoanalytic therapy for your mind with breathing, movement and postures similar to Yoga and Chi Gong.
Body psychotherapy comes from the work of Psychiatrists Wilhelm Reich, Alexander Lowen and John Pierrakos, and stems from the psychoanalytic tradition created by Freud and Jung.
Body psychotherapy is an experiential therapy which means you don’t just sit there and talk. You experience it in your entire being.
What are the benefits of Body Psychotherapy North Brisbane?
- The breathing exercises bring life back into your body which helps you regain your energy and motivation for life.
- It helps you let go of physical and emotional tension you have been holding in your body and your mind.
- The grounding exercises help you find strength in your SELF so you can move forward in your life with ease and confidence.
But it so much more than that…..
- Your body is a storehouse of information about your history. By combining talk therapy with movement and breathing we help you dig deeper into your psyche and access this unconscious information.
- Body psychotherapy takes you deeper and you get better results because we are working with your entire being. You can lie to yourself with your words, but your body will always tell you the truth.
- Are you aware of feeling symptoms of stress/ anxiety/ depression in your body?
- Do you want to involve your whole being in your therapy and not just talk about things?
- Are you looking for something experiential and deeply transformative?
If the answer is yes, then click the button below to start your journey.
Have a look at how we can work together specifically with:
Have a look at my FAQ page for answers to some common questions about therapy.
For info on my fees and available health fund rebates have a look at my Pricing page.
Body Psychotherapy Research
I want to know that the techniques I use for my clients are going to be effective and give the results they need. Here are some of the best research articles I’ve come across so far:
(In some cases you may not have access to read the whole article but should be able to see the abstract)
Röhricht, F. (2009). Body oriented psychotherapy. The state of the art in empirical research and evidence-based practice: A clinical perspective. Body, Movement and Dance in Psychotherapy, 4(2), 135-156.
Bloch-Atefi, A., & Smith, J. (2015). The effectiveness of body-oriented psychotherapy: A review of the literature. Psychotherapy and Counselling Journal of Australia, 3(1).
Nickel, M., Cangoez, B., Bachler, E., Muehlbacher, M., Lojewski, N., Mueller-Rabe, N., . . . Nickel, C. (2006). Bioenergetic exercises in inpatient treatment of Turkish immigrants with chronic somatoform disorders: A randomized, controlled study. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 61(4), 507-513.
Berg, A. L., Sandell, R., & Sandahl, C. (2009). Affect-focused body psychotherapy in patients with generalized anxiety disorder: Evaluation of an integrative method. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 19(1), 67-85.
Röhricht, F. (2015). Body psychotherapy for the treatment of severe mental disorders – an overview. Body, Movement and Dance in Psychotherapy, 10(1), 51-67.
Rohricht, F., Gallagher, S., Geuter, U., & Hutto, D. D. (2014). Embodied cognition and body psychotherapy: The construction of new therapeutic environments. Sensoria: A Journal of Mind, Brain and Culture, 10(1), 11-20.
Röhricht, F., Papadopoulos, N., & Priebe, S. (2013). An exploratory randomized controlled trial of body psychotherapy for patients with chronic depression. Journal of Affective Disorders, 151(1), 85-91.
If you would like to discuss your situation and find out how counselling or body psychotherapy can help you please call me on 0450 22 00 59. Or go to my online diary to book now.
I offer a FREE 20 minute discovery session for new clients by phone or skype so that you can ask me anything you want about counselling, body psychotherapy or group classes. You can book this though my online diary.
If you’re not ready to book just now, you can sign up to my monthly client newsletter and see what I’m sending my clients. I never give away contact details and you can unsubscribe at any time.